What is a Child Advocacy Center?
The Child Advocacy Center of Niagara is a multidisciplinary program responding to reports of child abuse and maltreatment or when a child has been trafficked or has witnessed domestic violence.
The Child Advocacy Center of Niagara works with law enforcement, child protection, prosecutors, victim advocates, medical professionals, and mental health practitioners in a child-centered facility to reduce trauma for children, coordinate services, provide a comfortable environment for investigative interviews, and other services and assure access to medical, mental health, advocacy, and support services. As a result, cases are thoroughly investigated, medical, mental health, and advocacy services are provided and trauma is reduced.
In order to better serve and protect children and families, the Center has also instituted several additional services:
- The Family Services component provides support to victims of domestic violence or other crimes who report to Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center’s emergency department.
- The Niagara County Family Violence Intervention Project addresses the related issues of child abuse and domestic violence through collaboration, training, and education.
- The Child Fatality/Serious Injury Review Team is dedicated to learning from tragedy to prevent harm to children.
- The Safe Harbour Project serves children who have experienced trafficking or commercial sexual exploitation. The Center’s Safe Harbour program addresses commercial sexual exploitation and trafficking of minor children.
- Stewards of Children is a nationally developed evidence-informed seminar for adults to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to sexual abuse of children.
The Child Advocacy Center also offers extensive education and outreach activities/training for professionals and education in the community. In addition to Stewards of Children, CAC staff can address a myriad of topics related to child safety including responding to child abuse, safe sleep for infants, the effects of domestic violence on children, and healthy relationships.
The Child Advocacy Center of Niagara is an accredited member of the National Children’s Alliance. It is also designated a Tier One center by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services. These designations indicate that the Center meets the highest level of national and state standards for children’s advocacy centers.
The Child Advocacy Center of Niagara is a service of Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center and serves all of Niagara County, New York.
Golisano Center for Community Health
533 Tenth Street
Niagara Falls, NY 14301
For more information call (716) 285-0045.